Born in Millville, New Jersey in 1960, Jim McHugh has been associated with the law firm of Tzangas Plakas Mannos Ltd since 1989 and is currently a partner. Mr. McHugh has been in practice since 1990 and is admitted to practice before the United States Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, the United States District Court for the Northern and Southern Districts of Ohio, and to all Ohio Courts. Mr. McHugh has made previous appearances Pro Hac Vice in the States of New York, Pennsylvania, Kansas, and Florida.
Mr. McHugh is a graduate of Asbury College (B.A. cum laude 1982), now Asbury University, The Ohio State University (M.A. 1986), and the University of Akron, School of Law (J.D. magna cum laude 1990). Mr. McHugh served on the Akron Law Review, was a member of the Commercial Law League of America, and is currently a member of the Stark County, and Ohio Bar Associations. He is also a member of the Stark County and Ohio Trial Lawyers Associations.
Mr. McHugh’s practice focuses upon business and corporate law litigation, such as: claims and causes of action arising from breach of contract, misappropriation of trade secrets and confidential information, enforcement of employment agreements, unfair competition, tortious interference with contracts and business relations. Other areas of focused practice include: sports law and antitrust litigation, commercial law, general corporate and business planning, and local zoning planning and litigation. Mr. McHugh has served as corporate and trial counsel for the American Indoor Soccer Association, Inc., and is currently corporate and trial counsel for several corporations and businesses in North East Ohio, as well as the Ohio counsel for businesses outside of the State of Ohio.
Recognitions & Awards
- National Registry of Who’s Who in America, 1990
- 2012-2018: “Ohio Super Lawyer” by Super Lawyers Magazine
- Super Lawyers: National Business Edition for Business Litigation in 2015.
- Christian Legal Society
- Ohio Academy of Trial Lawyers/Ohio Association of Justice
- Stark County Academy of Trial Lawyers
- American Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Stark County Bar Association
- Commercial Law League of America
- Enberg v. Canton Township Board of Zoning Appeals (1992), 78 Ohio App.3d 828, 605 N.E.2d 1365 (Zoning Issues).
- Fritz v. Bruner Cox, LLP (2001), 142 Ohio App.3d 664 (Professional malpractice and applicable statute of limitations).
- Tammac Corp. v. Norch, 2003-Ohio-2724 (5TH Dist., 2003) (Class Action litigation).
- Dynamark Security Centers, Inc. v. Charles, 2003-Ohio-2156, 2003 WL 1984204 (9TH Dist., 2003) (Franchise and Contract Law, Restrictive Covenants).
- Huntington National Bank, NA v. The Sussex Group, Ltd., 2011-Ohio-4571, 2011 WL 4011650 (5TH Dist. Ohio, 2011) (Breach of Commercial Loan, Commercial Foreclosure).
- Mitzel v. Anthem Life Ins. Co., 351 Fed.Appx. 74 (6TH Cir., Ohio 2009) (ERISA Litigation).
- American Indoor Soccer Association, Inc. v. Capital District Sports & Entertainment, Inc., et al., 64 F.3d 663, 1995 WL 501944 (6th Cir., Ohio 1995) (Sports Law and Business Litigation).
Community & Civic Associations
- Asbury College Alumni Board of Directors: 1991-1994.
- Summit Christian Board of Education: Board Member/President, 1988-1998.
- Heritage Christian School Board of Education Member, 2013-present.
- Provide local legal representation for the Christian & Missionary Alliance (C&MA) Central District, Ohio and West Virginia.